What is VOC? The definition of VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) is as follows: “Any volatile compound containing at least an atom of carbon”. Our solvent-based architectural coatings contain Mineral Spirits, a petroleum distillate, containing carbon. Further, VOC Content is defined as “the weight of VOC per volume of coating”.
Waterlox® products. Waterlox® ORIGINAL Tung oil finishes come in three different film-forming formulations – ORIGINAL, VOC COMPLIANT (low VOC), and H2OLOX® (low odor and low VOC). ORIGINAL products have been marketed and available since our inception; VOC COMPLIANT products have been available since 2004 and H2OLOX® products have been available since 2018. Our R&D goal was to formulate products that meet the regulations without changing the results and usability our customers have become accustomed to over 112 years. We truly believe that we have succeeded in accomplishing this goal.
Below are the conclusions we’ve found through our extensive lab and field-testing and product use:
- Dry times remain the comparable, even though solids and dry film thickness are slightly increased.
- Film properties (water and chemical resistance) remain the same.
- Flexibility and impact resistance remain the same.
- Film hardness for VOC COMPLIANT and H2OLOX® was found to be slightly higher or faster (rate to final hardness and over time) resulting in slightly better mar and scuff resistance, which may be viewed as better durability.
- Flow, leveling, touch-up and absence of lap marks remain the same.
We feel that you will experience little if any changes in our new products, even though there are differences in the actual make-up. This is primarily due to the fact that the solids/film forming ingredients remain the same.
NOTES: If and when using the VOC COMPLIANT on an initial finishing job, sanding between coats of Waterlox® ORIGINAL VOC Compliant products is not necessary for adhesion but can be done for aesthetic reasons. Allow 24 hours of dry time BEFORE sanding. If sanding, allow AT LEAST 8 hours with very good air movement to be sure the surface is re-cured.
If and when using the VOC COMPLIANT on a refresh finishing job, sanding between coats of Waterlox® ORIGINAL VOC Compliant products is not necessary for adhesion but can be done for aesthetic reasons. Allow AT LEAST 24-48 hours with very good air movement after sanding/screening and before re-coating to be sure the surface is re-cured.
Can ORIGINAL, VOC COMPLIANT and H2OLOX® be used in combination? Although there is no real appreciable difference between the end-result of the finishing systems, they should not be used interchangeably / in combination with each other.
TB 5284 – Waterlox® ORIGINAL Sealer & Semi-Gloss Finish
TB 6044 – Waterlox® ORIGINAL Satin Finish
VOC COMPLIANT Codes:
TB 6038 – Waterlox VOC COMPLIANT Sealer & Semi-Gloss Finish
TB 6035 & TB 6045 – Waterlox® VOC COMPLIANT Satin Finish
TB 2000 – Waterlox® H2OLOX® Gloss Finish
TB 2003 – Waterlox® H2OLOX® Semi-Gloss Finish
TB 2001 – Waterlox® H2OLOX® Satin Finish
TB 2002 – Waterlox® H2OLOX® Matte Finish
- When coating with Waterlox® ORIGINAL, careful attention should be used to continue through the entire project with the ORIGINAL or H2OLOX®. VOC COMPLIANT products should NOT be used over top of the ORIGINAL or H2OLOX®.
- When coating with Waterlox® VOC COMPLIANT, careful attention should be used to continue through the entire project with the VOC COMPLIANT. The ORIGINAL or H2OLOX® should NOT be used under the VOC compliant formulations.
- ORIGINAL or H2OLOX® can be used over top of the VOC COMPLIANT.
Rule Applicability. VOC rules are applicable to any person who supplies, sells, offers for sale, or manufactures any architectural coating for use within a VOC restricted area, as well as any person who applies or solicits the application of any architectural coating within the VOC restricted area.
For a full break down of VOC rules, visit VOC Rule Update PDF.