The first 7 days are the most critical after applying Waterlox Original Tung oil finishes. Please adhere to the following practices:
- After the last coat is applied, we advise staying off the surface for at least 24 hours. After this time, if you are finishing a floor, it may be used for sock traffic only. No shoes or bare feet (oils from the skin may dull the surface).
- During the first 7 days keep room/ambient temperature above 70° F if possible. Continue to cross-ventilate the room to help replenish the required oxygen needed to cure the finish.
- Avoid common household spills on newly finished surfaces for the first 7 days (cleaning spills with cleaners may damage or dull the finish as the film has not obtained its full chemical resistance properties).
- For floors, red rosin paper or non-abrasive throw rugs can be used in high traffic areas after 48 hours but should be removed each night, as the finish needs direct oxygen exposure to cure.
- After 7 days, (depending on drying conditions) replace furniture and throw rugs. Be sure to use felt pads on the bottom of all furniture to help prevent scratching of the finish. Some woods, such as American cherry and pine, oxidize on their own and will naturally darken during the first month. To achieve a consistent color across the entire floor, you may not want to place area rugs on the floor during this period. We recommend that you consult the wood manufacturer.
- Since the final cure of the finish occurs after 30 – 90 days, we recommend using caution for this period of time.