Your Cart

0 items $0.00

View / Checkout

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Food-safe / non-toxic.

Waterlox Original Tung oil finishes are non-toxic and food-safe when dry and fully cured. Special care and attention should be used when applying the finish with regard to spread rate and adequate ventilation.
 
There are two basic steps to the drying and curing process of a Waterlox Original Tung oil finish:
  1. The first step is the evaporation of the solvent or 'carrier' system. The evaporation of the solvent usually occurs in the first 2 - 4 hours with proper and adequate cross-ventilation techniques.
  2. The second step is the curing of the solids system, which is comprised of the oil and resin. The solids system completes 95 - 98% of it’s cure cycle in 7 days with proper ventilation; full cure, film hardness and chemical resistance properties are achieved in 30 -90 days with continued and adequate ventilation.
The only solvent or 'carrier' portion of the formulation is comprised of mineral spirits (a petroleum distillate), which, as mentioned above, evaporates in order for the finish to dry in the first 2 – 4 hours with continued and adequate ventilation. If finishing a working surface, a minimum of 7 days with continued and adequate ventilation should be waited before using the surface.

Established 1910